It is highly recommended that participants complete Stewards of Children prior to taking the supplemental trainings below, designed by Darkness to Light to provide more in-depth information and skill development in topic areas addressed in Stewards of Children. They are available both online or as an in-person facilitator-led trainings. Trainings are also available in a Spanish-language version hosted by psychologist and CNN medical contributor Dr. Maria Azaret.
These trainings are not intended to be used as a replacement for Stewards of Children. They do not provide the foundation necessary to adequately address child sexual abuse and should be viewed as supplemental education.
Access the Training for Individuals or Groups:
- Take the additional trainings online with Darkness to Light. Trainings are self-paced, with a cost $5 each.
- Contact your regional coordinator who can connect you with a facilitator to conduct training specifically for your group/organization.
- Contact our Prevention Staff for more information; call 678-904-2880 or email us. We can coordinate a training for your group/organization for $5 per person.
- During COVID-19: Take the Stewards of Children online training here. IT'S FREE with code:FLIPTHESWITCH
- During COVID-19: Take the Talking with Children about Safety from Sexual Abuse training online here. IT IS ALSO FREE with code: TALK2020.
Talking with Children about Safety from Sexual Abuse
- Having age-appropriate, open conversations about our bodies, sex, and boundaries is an important step in protecting children.
- People who sexually abuse children specifically target children who don't have the skills to talk about it. They use this lack of knowledge to keep them silent, shamed, and compliant.
- Talking about personal safety and sex creates a protective bond between parent and child, increases confidence for both, and instills knowledge that makes children and teens much less vulnerable, Other adults in the child's life can find creative way to teach body safety as well.
This course teaches you how to talk with and listen to children about sexual abuse and personal safety. This mini course is a supplement to Stewards of Children, a two-hour evidence-based course on preventing, recognizing, and reacting responsibly to child sexual abuse. This course is 45 minutes in length.
Healthy Touch for Children and Youth
Knowing about child sexual abuse makes us much more mindful about how we interact with children. Healthy affection and touch is protective from child sexual abuse, especially with parents, caregivers, and family members.
This course teaches you some guidelines for healthy touch and safe and respectful ways to interact with your children. This mini course is designed to supplement Stewards of Children, a two-hour evidence-based course on preventing, responding, and reacting responsibly to child sexual abuse. This course is 45 minutes in length.
Bystanders Protecting Children from Boundary Violations and Sexual Abuse
A "bystander" is a person who witnesses a boundary violation, or sees a situation in which a child is vulnerable.
This mini course will teach you how to be an active bystander in child sexual abuse prevention and response. You will receive examples of boundary violations and inappropriate behaviors and how you can make spontaneous and planned interventions that reinforce boundaries and protect children. This course is a supplement to Stewards of Children, a two-hour evidence-based course on preventing, recognizing,and reacting responsibly to child sexual abuse. This course is 45 minutes in length.
Commercial Sexual Exploitation of Children
Commercial sexual exploitation of children (CSEC) is any sexual activity involving a child for which something of value is given or promised. Child sexual abuse makes children more vulnerable to sexual exploitation. More than 90% of children who are commercially sexually exploited have been sexually abused in the past.
This course will teach you about the root cause of commercial sexual exploitation and why preventing sexual abuse is important to reducing the risk of children being sexually exploited. This mini course is a supplement to Stewards of Children, a two-hour evidence-based course on preventing, recognizing, and reacting responsibly to child sexual abuse. This course is one hour in length.