Thank you for your interest in becoming involved with the Georgia Center for Child Advocacy’s Prevention Initiative.
The first step to getting involved is to attend the Stewards of Children training. Adults who have taken the Stewards of Children training are in a unique position to talk about child sexual abuse; both its impact on victims and society as well as necessary protective measures. After attending the training you will be able to:
- Talk about the facts of child sexual abuse
- Advocate for restricted one adult/one child policies and best practices within organizations
- Talk to children about safety from child sexual abuse
- Recognize the signs of child sexual abuse
- Know how to make a report if you suspect child sexual abuse
- Promote the Stewards of Children program
- Refer people and organizations to the Georgia Center for Child Advocacy for information regarding training.
After attending the Stewards of Children training, additional ways to support the Prevention Initiative are:
- Attend a Center of Change Tour. Participate in a one hour tour where you will learn about the multiple programs, volunteer opportunities and special events that the Georgia Center for Child Advocacy offers.
- Donate to the Georgia Center for Child Advocacy Programs.
- Become a Partner In Prevention by training at least 90% of staff/volunteers within your organization and developing written child protection policies. Apply for the designation.
- Connect the Prevention staff with groups and organizations that would benefit from the Stewards of Children trainings. Provide an email introduction, set up a meeting between Prevention staff and decision makers with whom you have relationships and encourage youth-serving organizations with which you are familiar to train their staff.
- Host a Prevent Now Community Awareness Presentation. Attendees will learn about the psychological and financial impact of child sexual abuse and will learn about prevention efforts in their communities.
- Join the Movement and participate in one of Darkness to Light’s supplemental training modules available online.
- Become a Stewards of Children Facilitator.
As a Stewards of Children Facilitator you will be asked to:
- Complete the registration process, including submitting the $450.00 fee and attend a one-day facilitator workshop. This fee includes 7 hours of instruction and all training materials including a Facilitator Manual, a Stewards of Children workbook, training DVD, access to facilitator portal with resources and 20 Stewards of Children workbooks for your first class. Check out our training calendar to find workshop dates.
- Identify youth serving organizations and parent/caregiver groups in your community who would benefit from training and then provide the training.
- Train a minimum of 100 adults a year.
- Provide a Stewards of Children workbook for each person you train.
- Purchase training materials upfront at the rate of $10.00 per person. You will be authorized to charge for your time and materials.
- Record your trainings in Darkness to Light’s facilitator dashboard.
- Promote Georgia’s Statewide Prevention Initiative.
We hope you find this information is useful as you determine the best way to support the Georgia Center for Child Advocacy’s Prevention Initiative. To get involved in these opportunities or for additional questions email us.